Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The sock monster


Man, every time I have good intentions, they seem to get squashed by something ridiculous. Recently it's been my intention to walk around the lake at *least* twice a week. The first couple of weeks we had severe flooding. For real - flooding in Texas in the middle of summer?? That's about as likely as me passing up a pair of red patent-leather shoes that are half price! So, the monsoons have subsided and I was all ready to go on a walk today with my friend Jenny even thought the heat index today was 100 degrees.

As soon as the 5 o'clock whistle blew, I went to the ladies room to get changed into my gear. That's when I realized the sock monster had paid a visit to my bag. I had ONE freaking sock. WTF? Several thoughts went through my mind. The first being "hmm, can i walk three miles with one sock?", which then switched to "crap, maybe they sell socks downstairs?", which eventually switched to "i can't figure out the logistics - where would I change? I think I'll stay in the air conditioning on my sofa and write about this in my blog".

I had to make the call to Jen to tell her I wasn't going to make it. She then tried to convince me that all would be cool - I should just go to REI and buy some socks and change in my car. I argued that I have no window-tinting AND that I was parked in a public lot (helloooo!?) thinking she'd totallly get it. I forgot, however, that she changes in her car (a tiny convertible) all the time (uh, how?). Anyway, I told her I would not do this, and besides, she didn't want to wait for me to buy the damn socks and head on over. From now on, I'll not only carry an extra set of clothes in my car (honestly, you never know when they may come in handy, for a variety of occasions), but I think I'll also carry an entire package of socks just to be safe.

1 comment:

vanessa said...

So let me get this straight... you went into the bathroom to change and were prevented from putting on your shorts and t-shirt b/c you didn't have a sock?