Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The cable guy

After returning from a great trip to Minneapolis on Sunday, we plopped on the sofa to watch a little Entourage. 'Cept when I turned on the TV, the cable wasn't working. At almost the exact same moment, I heard Lance cursing the computer. The modem was out as well. Oh $hit I thought. Did I forget to pay the bill?? Wouldn't be the first time this has happened (not that they've ever shut off my service though!). I got on the phone and dialed time warner (thank goodness I'd paid my cell phone bill!). After going through a lengthy explanation about the bill the customer service rep tells me "um, we haven't shut off your service - something else must be going on. We'll have to send someone out" Ooops!

So the next day the cable guy shows up two hours late. He immiedately begins working outside, climbing ladders, drilling into the house, etc. all before he even comes inside. When he finally did knock, Prancer the attack dog lost his mind and almost bit the poor guy. After shooing the dog outside, mr. cable man started messing with the DVR. All still without a word. So I say, "so, did you have to replace the line?" and he says "yeah". Not satisfied with his response I say "oh, did one of those lousy squirrels bite through it?" and he says "looks like a big truck came by and ripped off the line" Ok, good enough for me. I let the man get back to his job and went into the kitchen to wash dishes (because I didn't know what else to do). Again, thoughts came creeping into my head (just like with the stoic cab driver at 4 am who I was convinced was going to murder me). The internal monologue in my head was something like this "Geez, I'm home alone. This guy could totally attack me. Good thing I'm washing this knife - ooh, my back is to him...I should probably turn around." Honestly, I think I've seen one too many Lifetime movies.

After an hour and a half working at our house, the cable guy leaves with some instructions for the DVR setup. He says if it's not done rebooting in half an hour I should give him a call. Well, of course the half hour goes by and the dang thing doesn't work. By this time, it's 9:00 pm and I'm pretty sure he won't come back to fix it. But Lance calls him anyway. This poor cable guy was STILL working, and more impressive than that, came back to our house at 10:30 to give us a new DVR box! That's some serious work ethic. So I'm sorry Mr. Cable Man that I thought you might murder me. Thank you thank you thank you for fixing my cable. Now I can resume the business of watching back-to-back episodes of The Hills and Newport Beach while surfing fabulous websites like perezhilton.com!

No comments: